Skip to main content

Flour Tortillas

MANY of my most fave ever recipes are courtesy of my friend Andrea-we've known each other since preschool, and the girl can COOK!!! I automatically know if she posts a recipe, it's kick ass, she's that awesome.

Here is her flour tortilla recipe, which was a bit time consuming but YUM. Feel free to visit her blog @ sgtandmrshub.com.

Flour Tortillas

1 batch makes around 8 tortillas - I always do a double batch because, why not?)

Two cups flour (I use 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup of white)
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
3/4 cups of warm milk

Combine:

Flour, baking powder, and the salt in a medium size bowl.

While you are mixing the dry ingredients together, warm up the milk and oil over a medium heat.

Slowly add the warm milk mixture to the flour mixture.


Stir until a loose, sticky ball is formed.

Knead on a lightly floured surface until dough is firm and soft.

Place dough in a clean bowl and cover with a clean towel. Let rest in a warm place for 20 minutes.

After the dough has rested, break off sections, roll them into balls, place on a clean surface (make sure they aren’t touching) and then completely (seal them off) cover the dough balls with plastic wrap for 10 minutes. (It’s very important to let the dough rest, otherwise it will be like elastic and won’t roll out properly.)

After the dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball on a well oiled surface.

Use the heel of your palm to gently press it into a circle, and then roll with a rolling pin from the center until it’s a thickness you like.

Mine are about 10+ inches in diameter. The smaller you roll the tortilla the chewier it will be.

I re-oil the counter about every third tortilla - otherwise they tear when lifting them off.

In a non-greased cast iron pan or a stainless steel pan, heated to a medium temperature (mine is perfect at around “4″)(make sure your pan is fully heated before you place your first tortilla in, otherwise it will tear), cook the tortilla for about 15 seconds on each side.

It should start to make puffy bubbles when it’s ready to be flipped.

Using a metal spatula start at an edge, lift carefully, and gently flip the tortilla. Go slowly to avoid ripping the tortilla

Make a stack on a cookie sheet and cover with a clean towel until all tortillas are cooked.

You can store the tortillas in a ziploc bag, refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.

see the original recipe on her blog, with play by play pictures. i'm not that cool, no pics here LOL

http://www.sgtandmrshub.com/2009/04/tuesday-recipe-homemade-flour-tortillas/





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Wing Dip

Seems like there's many varieties and ways to make this-this is what I do, and Keith loves it-I think it's pretty good too, but I can only eat so much of it, it's kinda greasy and I don't know...good but I like it in a buffet eating it with a LOT of other stuff, not as a main course or anything. Keith disagrees :) Thanks to BETH for introducing us to this magical dip LOL Chicken Wing Dip 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened 3/4 cup wing sauce of your choice (we use Frank's) 1 cup bleu cheese 2 cups diced cooked chicken 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese preheat the oven to 350 In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and sauce until well blended. Mix in the bleu cheese, chicken and Cheddar cheese. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. If oil collects on the top, dab it off using a paper towel. Serve with tortilla chips.

Buffalo Chicken Chili Mac

This was a staple when pregnant with Eli. It's a Rachel Ray recipe that Krysten intro'd me too, THANK YOU. So, so much. Buffalo Chicken Chili Mac 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) 2 pounds (about 4 to 6, depending on size) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bits *note, I use precooked Wegman's frozen grilled chicken breasts, so that cuts down on work LOL* 1 large onion, chopped (I use like 4 onions b/c we love them so very, very much) 5 large cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated 1 tablespoon smoked paprika(i used regular if I don't have smoked, I also sometimes use 1T all seasons salt, that's my FAVE way!) 1 bay leaf Salt and freshly ground black pepper 2 cups chicken stock 1/4 to 1/2 cup hot sauce/buffalo wing sauce, depending on how hot you like it 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes 1 pound whole wheat elbow macaroni(i use any fusilli) 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese 1/2 cup blue cheese Preheat broiler and place a large pot of salted water ov...

BBQ Sauce (R1 Approved)

I've actually been making my own bbq sauce for years. The OG recipe can be found here on this blog even ;) all the way from 2010, ha. But I tweaked it to make it R1 Compliant for my Restoration Wellness plan. This actually makes a LOT so I usually half it (Half of this recipe fills almost 2 Primal Kitchen Ketchup bottles, for reference lol) JEN'S BBQ Sauce (R1 Version) 2C Primal Kitchen ketchup 2C Great Value Organic tomato sauce (or use whatever, just needs to be on plan, no sugar etc) 1 1/4C brown sugar truvia or stevia (I do NOT use this much, start with less esp with stevia bc certain ones have more of an aftertaste. I did about 3/4C of it, 1/4C stevia and 1/2C truvia brown sugar) 1 1/4C apple cider vinegar 2T ON PLAN OIL (I Used Plant based ghee which is avocado/coconut blend) 1/2t garlic powder 1/4t chili powder 1t paprika 1/4t ground cinnamon 1/2t cayenne pepper 1t salt 1t fresh ground black pepper ***you could add some liquid smoke ~1T if you like a smo...