Skip to main content

Slacking a bit on my updates, but we have been traveling so much it's just been unreal. I feel so blessed that this is our life, we love it and are so fortunate...and yet it's absolutely a NIGHTMARE and so freaking hard for me to eat on plan when traveling.

Luckily my new meal plan makes it soooo much more manageable, and enjoyable really-not a lot of thought involved-but it's still such a temptation. I am a foodie. I love food. I love to try new foods and regional places. This is in no way conducive to losing weight for me, LOL. So I abstain from the food, and I'm a little sad, but I know it's for the greater good. When I am at my goal weight, and have more calories and a bit more leniency with my plan (this does NOT mean I eat whatever I want and go back to old habits-it just means I'll get around 500 more calories a day to indulge in for special occasions), then I will enjoy traveling even more.

So we've been on the road for a week now-first Philly, then we flew to Florida, spent most of the week in Orlando, and then came to Fort Lauderdale today for the weekend, then we fly back to Philly. *whew*

Overall I have stayed nearly 100% on my meal plan. And it's not about perfection, it's about progress, but it's been so incredibly progressive to me to be able to travel and not just be adrift. I love my vitamix, and I totally bring it everywhere we go.

I have had a couple off plan moments-but controlled-the entire fam got sick the other day, no idea if it was food poisoning or if we got a virus, but it knocked us all down for the count. nasty. so i didn't really eat anything, except saltines and some frozen yogurt. I wasn't really happy that I had to go off plan, but the thought of eating anything but those two things made me even sicker, so I listened to my body and ate what I felt it needed.

I like the little picture that I put above, because it's true. I am not on some diet, just for the short term, and my eating reflects this. Right now I am in the weight loss phase of things, and that means I need to eat according to those goals. I feel often unsupported by anyone other than Keith, in the sense of the whole "oh, one time won't matter". I feel that generally, people don't really understand or validate food addictions, because no one in the world would tell a recovering drug or alcohol addict "oh just one drink or hit won't  hurt!". Obviously addictions are a slippery slope, and mine must be managed with a firm, controlled hand, I do not currently in this phase of my recovery, if you will, have the ability to regulate the "just one" mentality. It's all or nothing, go big or go home, etc et al. So until I can continue to change my mental approach to food, my physical approach and the actual act of eating has to reflect my goals, and my firm management of my obesity condition. As annoying as it is :/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jen's Before and Current

About halfway thru R1 (Phase 1) with my Restoration Wellness plan. Down 17lbs, which is crazy. I don't think I've ever lost more than 10lbs a month before, even when I was over 300lbs and ultimately lost 150lbs. It required a lot of thinking, planning, measuring, weighing, thinking about food all the time and being at the gym EVERY day. This is so much easier. I do want to get back in the gym, but on my time for my own wellness, not as simply a weight loss tool. But because I enjoy moving my body and being active. Completely different mindsets. My pics yet aren't as dramatic as Keith's, even though I've lost a few pounds more than him. But that's ok, enjoying the journey and progress not perfen and all that :) Starting Weight 262.4 Current Weight 245.4 (3 weeks progress)

Chicken Wing Dip

Seems like there's many varieties and ways to make this-this is what I do, and Keith loves it-I think it's pretty good too, but I can only eat so much of it, it's kinda greasy and I don't know...good but I like it in a buffet eating it with a LOT of other stuff, not as a main course or anything. Keith disagrees :) Thanks to BETH for introducing us to this magical dip LOL Chicken Wing Dip 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened 3/4 cup wing sauce of your choice (we use Frank's) 1 cup bleu cheese 2 cups diced cooked chicken 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese preheat the oven to 350 In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and sauce until well blended. Mix in the bleu cheese, chicken and Cheddar cheese. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. If oil collects on the top, dab it off using a paper towel. Serve with tortilla chips.

Weight Loss Challenge: Going Out To Eat

One thing that can be really challenging when you are in weight loss mode is going out to eat. When Keith and I lost almost 300lbs combined about 13 years ago, one thing that we were soooo strict about was eating out, and it really made so much of a difference. We did have a few places that were ok for an emergency, but overall we did not go out to eat for almost a year. The hard things about going out to eat in weight loss mode are this: When one eats out, you want to get the MOST value for your dollar. In weight loss mode, you want LESS portion (or more veggies to volumize) and quality food costs $$. I can make better things to stay on plan at home, so eating out doesn't have a lot of allure bc of that. Also usually when you are doing a weight loss plan, you are investing in it in SOME way. Whether that's a program for support, or certain/specific foods to stay on plan, etc. So if you don't go out to eat, you are saving money and able to put it towards things that help