Skip to main content

12 years

12 years ago on Sunday I married Keith. We had been dating for 13 months and known each other 17 months. Friends boycotted our wedding, family told us we were ruining each others lives. He wasn’t christian enough, I wasn’t christian enough. Or maybe we both weren't Christian enough. We were too young. We hadn’t dated long enough. He was my only boyfriend. The list of why we shouldn’t take this step was shared with us over and over and over.

We ignored everyone, listened to our hearts, put our hands together, and jumped forward together into life. I was 21, and he was 23. We were so young. Statistics said we’d be divorced far longer than we’d remain married. I grew up with no father figure, his parents divorced after 30 years of marriage. We had no examples to follow of a healthy relationship. We fought. We got counseling. We battled 3 years of infertility. We had a beautiful baby girl and I almost died. I laid in the ICU, in severe heart failure, and he held our newborn daughter to my breast so she could nurse. They slept in the lobby and never left my side. I got a blood clot and was in bed for months recovering. He worked and took care of us.

Doctors told us to never have more children or I would surely die. They told me to tie my tubes at 24. We believed God had a different plan, and stepped out in faith, and got pregnant again. Only I didn’t die, our baby did. But I did relapse back into heart failure.

We weathered the loss of our beloved daughter together and grieved and felt pain like no person ever should. Together.

They told us again-no more children. Again we knew God had a different plan, and that Mairi’s prayer for 2 years for a baby brother named Eli would be granted. We walked through post loss pregnancy-hope tainted with fear and desperation-together. We heard Eli cry, and saw him alive, and our hearts began to heal in a way they hadn’t before. Together.

We decided we weren’t the role models we wanted to be for our children, we wanted more for them and for our family. So we embarked on a lifelong journey to change our outsides so that we could begin to fix our broken insides. We lost almost 300lbs in a year together-sweating, crying, and realizing how much work we needed but we did it together.

We became professional hula hoopers. We appeared on multiple national and local media and print. We started traveling the world. We stepped out in faith again and walked the still harrowing journey of post loss pregnancy together again, and welcomed our 2nd sweet rainbow into our family.

Together. Always together. There is no Keith without Jen and no Jen without Keith.

To everyone that never believed in us, we made it anyway-against every single adversity that should ruin a relationship, we have never wavered, and have grown stronger together because of all we’ve faced. Sometimes things that don’t make sense to others, only make sense in our hearts. And I thank God every day of my life that for the first time in my life, I listened to myself and trusted my heart, even though it didn’t make sense to anyone else.

Happy 12 years of marriage, Keithy. We’ve lived 5 lifetimes together already, I can only begin to imagine the randomness that awaits us together in the next dozen years together. Thanks for loving me when no one else did. For believing in me when no one else did. Thanks for being worth the wait. Thanks for everything you do, every single day, for me and our children. I’ve never known a love on this earth like yours, and endeavour every day to return to you as much as you give to me.

Together, always. Keith+Jen=Love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Wing Dip

Seems like there's many varieties and ways to make this-this is what I do, and Keith loves it-I think it's pretty good too, but I can only eat so much of it, it's kinda greasy and I don't know...good but I like it in a buffet eating it with a LOT of other stuff, not as a main course or anything. Keith disagrees :) Thanks to BETH for introducing us to this magical dip LOL Chicken Wing Dip 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened 3/4 cup wing sauce of your choice (we use Frank's) 1 cup bleu cheese 2 cups diced cooked chicken 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese preheat the oven to 350 In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and sauce until well blended. Mix in the bleu cheese, chicken and Cheddar cheese. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. If oil collects on the top, dab it off using a paper towel. Serve with tortilla chips.

Buffalo Chicken Chili Mac

This was a staple when pregnant with Eli. It's a Rachel Ray recipe that Krysten intro'd me too, THANK YOU. So, so much. Buffalo Chicken Chili Mac 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) 2 pounds (about 4 to 6, depending on size) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bits *note, I use precooked Wegman's frozen grilled chicken breasts, so that cuts down on work LOL* 1 large onion, chopped (I use like 4 onions b/c we love them so very, very much) 5 large cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated 1 tablespoon smoked paprika(i used regular if I don't have smoked, I also sometimes use 1T all seasons salt, that's my FAVE way!) 1 bay leaf Salt and freshly ground black pepper 2 cups chicken stock 1/4 to 1/2 cup hot sauce/buffalo wing sauce, depending on how hot you like it 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes 1 pound whole wheat elbow macaroni(i use any fusilli) 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese 1/2 cup blue cheese Preheat broiler and place a large pot of salted water ov...

BBQ Sauce (R1 Approved)

I've actually been making my own bbq sauce for years. The OG recipe can be found here on this blog even ;) all the way from 2010, ha. But I tweaked it to make it R1 Compliant for my Restoration Wellness plan. This actually makes a LOT so I usually half it (Half of this recipe fills almost 2 Primal Kitchen Ketchup bottles, for reference lol) JEN'S BBQ Sauce (R1 Version) 2C Primal Kitchen ketchup 2C Great Value Organic tomato sauce (or use whatever, just needs to be on plan, no sugar etc) 1 1/4C brown sugar truvia or stevia (I do NOT use this much, start with less esp with stevia bc certain ones have more of an aftertaste. I did about 3/4C of it, 1/4C stevia and 1/2C truvia brown sugar) 1 1/4C apple cider vinegar 2T ON PLAN OIL (I Used Plant based ghee which is avocado/coconut blend) 1/2t garlic powder 1/4t chili powder 1t paprika 1/4t ground cinnamon 1/2t cayenne pepper 1t salt 1t fresh ground black pepper ***you could add some liquid smoke ~1T if you like a smo...